This means that our patients receive an individualized plan to eliminate infection of the gums and root surfaces. Periodontal disease is an infectious and inflammatory disease that results from bacteria collecting on the tooth surface above and below the gum line which destroys gum tissues and bone.
We focus on eliminating:
- Tartar and plaque below the gum
- Detoxifying the root surfaces where the disease occurs
- Obtaining smooth roots
- Flushing out the pockets allowing for healthy reattachment of the gums to the root surfaces.
For our patients who need additional periodontal treatment, we offer Arestin, which is an effective antibiotic treatment. Arestin is placed inside infected periodontal pockets just after your scaling and root planing procedure. The antibiotic is released over time into the infected periodontal pocket, killing bacteria that live there, thus eliminating the infection.
Our goals of soft tissue management are:
- Gums that do not bleed: Healthy Gums do not bleed
- Fresher breath and taste
- Reattachment of gum tissue to tooth surface
- Smooth tooth surface
- Flushing out bacteria in pockets
- Reducing pocket depths
- Controlling periodontal disease